May 5, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

As I briefly mentioned in a previous post, my twins’ baptism is right around the corner. Make that a week and a half away. We’ve booked the church, invited our family and friends, and ordered beautiful christening gowns for the babies from a local boutique where we frequently shop. We even arranged for the store to embroider each slip with the baby’s monogram and the date. All of the details were in place and everything was going to be perfect.

That is, until I saw the embroidery. Instead of embroidering the outside of the slips as discussed, the store embroidered the inside, so that when the baby is wearing the slip you see the ugly back of the stitching and everything looks unfinished and backwards. Unfortunately, the store is refusing to accept responsibility and we've been left to figure out a solution on our own.

Being a resourceful belle, I called the designer directly to see if we could order new slips. If only it were that easy. The person I spoke with was sympathetic, but told me they can’t sell directly to consumers. Even if they could, they wouldn’t sell the slip alone, no matter the situation. He actually suggested that the babies just wear the slips inside out. (Let me assure you, dear reader, that won’t be happening.)

If I want to rectify the situation, it appears that I will have to purchase new gowns online and have them sent to me via rush delivery. We may or may not be able to get the new gowns  monogrammed in time.

I am trying very hard not to feel like this puts a damper on this wonderful occasion. I had a very complicated pregnancy with the twins, followed by a difficult (and premature) delivery. Both babies spent time in the NICU. We are so very blessed to have these two beautiful baby boys and this is their day. I know in my heart that this is not the end of the world. Still, I would love to hear how the rest of you maintain your composure in situations like this.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I am so upset that the store you purchased the gowns from won't honor your original order! Did you get anything in writing, and even so, being from an event planning background, your clients (e.g. yourself) are relying on the shop owners for guidance on these things! That is horrible that they won't rectify this for you and make it right. So wish there was something I could do, I don't blame you for being frustrated.

    That said, we all know things don't go as planned, and there are some irresponsible people out there. The babies' baptism will be perfect regardless, I just know how much it means to you for everything to seem just right, and that this is a big part of it.

    I'll be thinking of you, sorry things didn't go as you had planned... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Trish. Yes, we did get the monogramming order in writing, with one caveat: the stitching was to be placed where we positioned a piece of tape. This was a mistake, because now it is our word against the salesperson's word about which side of the gown the tape was placed on. I certainly learned my lesson for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame! I can't believe they are not honoring your word... obviously you wouldn't want the embroidery on the wrong side!

    What if you take a piece of coordinating(?) silk or linen and have it embroidered and then professionaly applique it on. It won't be as sweet as the originals but it will be a good story someday! Also, if done correctly, it could look like a sweet picture frame around their monograms.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails